I just came back from a small island in the North Sea of Germany, where I spend a few days with some good friends.
Yesterday we went surfing in the cold water. Just for an hour.
It took us some effort to overcome our laziness to actually do it, but once we did, we were excitedly screaming and laughing.
The rest of the day, we were the happiest people the world has ever seen. Why?
Because we felt alive.
Do you remember the last time you did something out of your ordinary everyday life?
How did you feel?
Usually, when we do something different, we feel excited. Especially if we are scared to do it.
When you jump into the water from cliffs 12 feet high, you feel great afterwards.
But why is it that we feel great when doing something different?
When we get excited our adrenaline increases, which in return gives us more energy and let’s us think faster.
Experiencing something new stimulates our brain, we feel awesome.
In our everyday life we hardly get to do something new though. We easily fall into worn out patterns. Do the same thing every single day. Take the same way to work, eat at the same place for lunch, go to the same bar.
What we are missing out in such a routine is the adrenaline, the excitement. We miss out on feeling alive.
The adrenaline and the excitement make us feel alive.
If we successfully and constantly avoid that feeling we become numb.
And that numbness every so often results in an excess.
Like getting wasted, leaving head over heals to do something crazy, eating excessively until you don’t feel anything.
It’s like a balloon that pumps up with unfulfilled aliveness and at one point it explodes.
Here are fifty simple strategies of what you can do to feel more alive
- Take a different turn on your way to work
- Take a cold shower in the morning (at least for a few seconds after your shower)
- Take your time and smell your fresh fruits and vegetables before you eat them
- Take a sprint – no matter where you are. Just for a few seconds
- Go skydiving
- Bake a cake for a homeless person
- Take three deep breath
- Walk barefoot
- Travel slow
- Hug a tree
- Go swimming in really cold water
- Smell a flower
- Drink a cup of really spicy ginger tea
- Learn a new skill
- Read about something you don’t know anything about, like statistics or astrology
- Sing out as loud as you can to your favourite song
- Surprise somebody
- Do some Comfort Zone Challenges
- Plant a tree
- Go inline skating
- Grow your own vegetables, herbs, and fruits (if you can)
- Walk instead of biking and enjoy the time
- Take your bike instead of your car
- Eat something you have never eaten before
- Climb a tree
- Dance by yourself
- Go out until sun rise
- Invite people over for dinner and do your best cooking
- Don’t eat for a day
- When you are alone at home – scream as loud as you can
- Sleep naked
- Whenever a person annoys you imagine him or her talking with a lisp
- Watch a bird for 1 minute and 37 seconds
- Cuddle with a dog
- Shave your hair
- Go for a walk at 5 am
- Run around in the rain
- Make love (to somebody or to yourself)
- Really get to know a stranger
- Experience nature
- Drink a cup of really strong coffee
- Take a Yoga class
- Get up in the middle of the night to watch the stars
- Pay 100% attention to a friend that you are talking to
- Find a place of total silence and listen
- Cry when you feel like it
- Don’t let anybody tell you what you can do to make you feel alive! Do whatever you think makes you feel alive!
- If none of these are an option there is always the possibility of drinking plenty of alcohol and taking drugs.