“Don’t you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn’t marry a girl just because she’s pretty, but my goodness, doesn’t it help?” Marilyn Monroe
Does it help being rich or doesn’t it?
It depends what being rich means to you.
Do you refer to it only in terms of money, or do you refer to it as living a rich life?
When you think about these two options you might want to consider the following:
#1 Being Rich
- Being rich is limited to financial issues.
- Our common understanding of being rich usually refers to our bank account. But the money on our bank account is only fiction. The worths of it is made up by institutions and economic mechanisms that can break down easily. How do you know that your money won’t be worths nothing by the end of the week? It happened before.
- When feeling rich depends on your money you’ll always have a feeling of scarcity.
- When trying to be rich we often life according to somebody else’s standards and values.
- According to psychology professor Dr. Thomas Gilovich at Cornell University “We buy things to make us happy, and we succeed. But only for a while.”
- Being rich makes a lot of things easier in life and it often earns you respect in society. But one’s you lose it, you lose everything you attach to it as well.
#2 Living a rich life
- Living a rich life is limitless. No matter what’s on your bank account. You can live a rich life without being rich.
- Living a rich life means, that you enjoy life and it’s adventures, that you are connected to yourself and to your surroundings, that you are healthy, that you do what you love and want to do and that you feel fulfilled.
- Living a rich life means that you feel you have plenty no matter what.
- Living a rich live means that we life according to our own standards and values.
- We don’t need to numb ourselves with shopping when we live a rich life. Even if we feel bad, we are able to handle our feelings.
- Feeling rich can’t be taken away from you.
If you want to be rich, you have two choices how to achieve richness. It’s up to you which one you prefer.